About the Blog
This isn’t a personal blog, but rather a collection of information and online references related to EDS, chronic illness and, especially lately, chronic pain.
I’m advocating for better pain management, which these days usually means having access to adequate doses of opiates, our most effective, and sometimes only, means of pain control. However, this is being threatened by well-intentioned people trying to prevent addiction and the devastating consequences of the illegal use of opiates.
The problem is that medically supervised chronic pain patients are being targeted along with addicts. Statistics show that only 1-5% of chronic pain patients eventually become addicted to opiates, while the other 95% get the relief they so desperately need.
Due to misinformation being spread by the media, many people have been led to believe that opiates are “bad drugs” that have no legitimate purpose for chronic pain. I’ve posted a list of rebuttals to the most common wrong perceptions about opiates and chronic pain on my page Pain & Opiates: Perceptions vs Reality.
Until I was disabled by the progressive pain and fatigue from Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, I was a high tech IT maven at Apple and Yahoo. I live in a rustic cabin in the redwood forests of the Santa Cruz Mountains just up the hill from Silicon Valley with my wonderfully supportive husband and two 4-legged kids.
When I’m not held prisoner by pain and resting on the couch, I spend my limited energy letting my voracious curiosity loose online (knowledge =? power), writing (blog reporting, essays, poetry), trying to learn Spanish (hobby), and reading (biographies, literary fiction, Spanish language).
My arguments for controlling the pain of chronic illness like EDS with opioids during these times of overzealous opioid restrictions:
Compelling Comment on Opioid Restrictions
To my loyal followers and visitors:
I spend so much time looking for, sorting through, prioritizing, and summarizing articles for my twice (or thrice) daily posts that I don’t have time to read other blogs consistently.
Therefore, as much as I appreciate followers, I do not return the “favor”. Instead of being a hypocrite by following everyone back and then not reading them, I’m just going to admit I only have time for an occasional peek, even at blogs I find very interesting.
In addition, this blog isn’t meant to be personal (well, I do express my opinions) or have a lot of discussion, because it’s intended as a resource. Then again…
After I crashed on my bike in June 2015, I posted only to explain what had happened and that I had to take some time off. I was flabbergasted at how many people commented, just to wish me well. And the comments kept coming, for days, for weeks. This unexpected outpouring of support cheered me immensely, and I saw that the blog isn’t as impersonal as I had thought.
To accommodate my low energy, I must remain focused on any task that needs doing and avoid time-stealing or energy-depleting distractions. I have to strictly limit my activities and prioritize my time to get anything done at all.
So I want to explain and apologize for any perceived “rudeness” from not following those that follow me.